Good thing I’ve been able to do some editing of older work to fill in when I can’t manage to get into the studio. It hasn’t happened very often during this month’s challenge, but today is an example. Trying to play catch up on my accounting which has been neglected since September, plus the daily things that did not get done this week since we babysat the grandbaby all week. It’s been hard to adjust to the new routine with him around, but we will get it done.
I’m posting on my blog ahead a day again. I may work on this one a tad more. I don’t considered finished, but it only needs a tad tweaking. This is the second time I’ve attempted to paint this particular scene. It is NOT from my own photography, but is such an intriguing exercise with the fog and the rain that I couldn’t resist. I am very likely to paint it again. I’m much much happier with this one than I was with the first, but still not satisfied.
It’s been a little harder to get things done since I became a “Granny Nanny” and ran out of pieces I’d done ahead of time. This is another reason the challenge is good for tweaking or reworking older work. I’ve been interspersing some of those with new stuff.
Ever since I saw a very beautiful work by my friend Dee Roberts I’ve wanted to paint a Jelly fish on Yupo. My first attempt was a disaster and got wiped clean. I’m okay with this one. I’m thinking that Yupo pieces may require tons of tweaking. This one has already taken me hours. I’m calling it “At the Jellyfish Ball” because they look like they are dancing.
Given my penchant for painting bubbles and for photographing rain in various ways, I think I might have come up with this on my own eventually. However, I saw this concept done by Gerald Schwartz in a Daily Painters Gallery newsletter. I love his much more than mine and will save my pennies and dollars to buy one some day. He does a lot of beautiful work.
One thing I’ve used these Challenges for is to update and hopefully improve older works. I took a monoprinting class a while back and some of the pieces needed a little help. The good thing about this is that I usually use a different medium to do the improvements. Thus these pieces are perfect for SoMMA (Society of Mixed Media Artists) shows, since it is required that they be mixed.
So this piece is part of a bi-monthly challenge that SoMMA (http://sommartists.com) puts on. We are given some thing and told to make art out of it. This month we got cypress knees, one month we got a backscratcher. That happened during Leslie’s September challenge so you can go back and see what I did with that as well. I won fist place this time around with my “Crone”. I’ve added some to her since Saturday’s meeting. She was not as thoroughly adorned as this then.
Went to a newly instituted art event here in town. One of our local coffee shops Bold Bean has hosted artist’s booths to show and sell their wares. It was a nice atmosphere. Lots of young and talented artists. Unlike this old fogie. It was exciting to be part of something new with new artist friends. Of course, I also made some purchases, since my life’s purpose is to support artists in any way that I can. I started this painting there. The lighting was not great so I wasn’t sure what I’d see this morning. It needed a lot of work.
No upcoming events
Dedicated to Painting in the "Open Air"
seeing is perceiving
Embodiment of the New World Goddess
The World According to Me
1 of We
painter | animator
Fine Art Photographer ~ Daring to be Different
About Mental Health, Daily Struggles, and Whatever Else Pops in My Head
Use your words. If you can.
Exploring vintage books, papers and illustrations